Yes. Regularly riding an electric bike should help you lose weight.
There are many examples of e-bike riders who have lost significant amounts of weight riding with pedal assistance, including Rhonda Martin who famously used an electric bike to lose 270 pounds.
In general, riding an electric bike burns about as many calories as walking briskly. But the pedal assistance and speed can make riding your e-bike a lot of fun. When something is fun, you are more likely to do it.
Many Aspects of Weight Loss
Of course, riding your electric bike is not a panacea. Weight loss often comes as the result of several behavioral changes.
You need to change how you think about your body composition. Change the food (fuel) you consume, and change what you do (how you exercise).
Change How You Think
Tony Robbins, the famous life coach and motivational speaker, describes what he calls “The Six Master Steps to Change.”
- “Decide what you really want and what’s preventing you from having it now.” If you really want to lose weight, make that your priority. List out all of the things that are stopping you from achieving your weight loss goals.
- “Get leverage: associate massive pain to not changing now and massive pleasure to the experience of changing now.” When you think about the behaviors that are stopping you from losing weight associate them in your mind with painful situations. When you think about actions that will help you lose weight, like riding an electric bike, think about the fun you will have riding, being outdoors, and spending time with friends.
- “Interrupt the limiting pattern.” If it’s your habit to sit down and watch three hours of Fox News every night, stop. Actually scream out loud when you start to turn the television on.
- “Create a new, empowering alternative.” After you have screamed, go get on your electric bike and take a 45-minute ride. Replace your tv-watching habit with a behavior that will help you achieve your weight loss goal.
- “Condition the new patten until it’s consistent.” Here you want to form a habit of your new, weight-loss friendly activity.
- “Test it.” Does your new behavior actually help you drop pounds? If not, modify it and try again. You will be programming yourself for weight loss success.
Change What You Eat
It will be almost impossible to lose weight without changing your diet. But you need to be careful. There are many fad diets that will help you lose weight short term, but which may not be the best health choices overall.
Take a little time to research health eating. Talk to your doctor about a healthy diet. And ask hard questions about the diet plans you are presented with.
Change What You Do
Finally, you also need to get more exercise. This is where riding an electric bike can help.
You don’t have to treat your rides like a vigorous workout to be successful, rather ease into exercise. Commit to taking a three bike rides of 45 minutes each every week. Just enjoy getting out. Build a passion for riding, and the weight will come off.