Advantages of Mid-Drive Motor
Your electric bikes offer a Standard 250 Watt Motor Package and SuperCharged 500 Watt Motor Package. Which one is best for me?
That is a great question! To best address it, it helps to look at your riding needs:
You will benefit from a 500W motor if:
- You live in a really hilly area and you wish to have a lot of torque and power to go quickly on hills;
- You plan to do little or no pedaling (instead relying more on the electric-only throttle) and maintain a higher cruising speed;
- You would like to have the ability to increase the top speed up to 25 mph (in off-road mode only!).
- The rider’s weight is over 200 lbs.
You should find the 250W motor enough for your needs if:
- You live in a moderately hilly area;
- You plan to use the motor to complement your own power when you need a boost or feel tired, but still plan to pedal the bulk of the time;
- The rider’s weight is under 200 lbs.
As you’d expect, the 500W upgrade offers more power–with the main tradeoff being the increased expense. Our standard 250W configuration works great for most people, as our unique mid-drive design is incredibly efficient; by providing power at the crank it takes full use of the mechanical advantage of the bike’s gearing.
People looking to use “throttle-only” mode more frequently, looking to go faster on hills and simply looking for more acceleration should consider the 500W option.
The assisted top speeds of both bikes is limited to 20mph per Federal regulations–and the 500w versions are able to attain this speed with little pedaling effort. However, there is an “off-road only” option on the 500W configuration which will allow for speeds up to 25mph with assist. Keep in mind that actually speeds depend on a variety of conditions, and will vary.
Please note that only our Aries and Aurora models offer a 500W motor power upgrade. Coupled with a 48V battery, it delivers unparalleled torque and power – enough to tackle virtually any sort of terrain.
As a side note, we put this our motors to the test ourselves when several of our bikes were used in a 4,000 mile Trans-American Electric Bike Tour and performed superbly even in the steep and mountainous areas.
How Does a Mid-Drive Motor Compare to a Traditional Hub Motor?
There are a number of differences between the Mid-Drive Motor and a Traditional Hub Motor.
* Performance – Mid-Drive Motors are known for higher performance and torque when compared to a similar-powered Traditional Hub Motor. One of the key reasons for that is because the mid-drive motor drives the crank, instead of the wheel itself, which multiplies its power and allows it to better take advantage of the bike’s existing gears. The best way to visualize it is to imagine a scenario where you are pedaling and approaching a steep hill. As you would change the gears to make it easier for yourself to pedal and maintain the same cadence, a mid-drive motor would also benefit from that and enable it to deliver more power and more range as a result.
* Maintenance – your bike’s Mid-Drive is designed in such a way that makes maintenance and service extremely easy. You can remove and replace the entire motor assembly by simply taking out two special bolts – without affecting any other aspect of the bike. This means that virtually any regular bike shop can easily perform the troubleshooting and repairs. If you have a hub motor in the rear wheel, on the other hand, even basic maintenance tasks such as taking off the wheel to change a flat tire become a very complicated endeavor.
* Handling –EVELO’s Mid-Drive motor is positioned close to the center of gravity and low to the ground. This helps improve the overall handling of your electric bike, as the weight is distributed better throughout the bike.
If you have any further questions or concerns about mid-drive motors or traditional hub motors, please don’t hesitate to reach out and we’ll be happy to assist!
Wondering where to go next?
- Check out and customize your perfect electric bike
- See the EVELO difference - Mid-Drive Motor | NuVinci “Infinite Gears” Hub | Love at First Ride
- Ask our e-bike experts about any questions you have (we are here 7 days a week!)